"Every morning when i open my eyes i say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and i'm going to be happy in it."

- Groucho Marx

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What you think is real, it’s not!! If it’s real, how much?!


Have you ever closed your eyes and went back to that place where you felt as if everything was great? The place where you don’t have to worry about anything and everything made you happy, that’s my definition of natural happiness. It’s the happiness that’s not forced upon you, it just happens. The type of happiness that just comes naturally like doing something you enjoy or seeing someone you truly care about. However, there is synthetic happiness which is forced. It’s the type of happiness when you have to GUESS if you’re really happy or not, like getting a gift on your birthday but it’s something you really don’t like and you pretend to be happy with whatever u have gotten. Many people are not naturally happy; they’re synthetically happy. In order in to be naturally happy you have to be happy with yourself first.

In the past I have had several relationships. They were the kind of relationships that I thought I was happy in. I look back now and realize that I was never naturally happy in them; I just thought I was supposed to be happy because it was something everyone was doing. I was synthetically happy. There were days where I had to ask myself, am I really happy with him? I had went day by day telling myself that I was going to grow to be happy with him , unfortunately that never happened. Around that time I was going through things with myself, I was trying to figure out who I was. I wasn’t happy with myself. I always thought it was something I could do to make me better. A year passed and I grew to love myself more. I discovered things I didn’t like and I discovered the things I loved, like writing, helping people and acting. Yes, I have flaws and things that others don’t like about me for example my honesty but I love those things about me. Every now and then I’ll go through something but that’s life, I can honestly say now that I am naturally happy with myself than ever before.

Now that I am naturally happy with myself I don’t do things that I won’t be happy with. I don’t go into relationships were I THINK I’m going to be happy in. I’m in a relationship now with a boy named Jamal, he makes me naturally happy ; nothing was ever forced with us. We went to the same high school so we knew each other and became friends before we went into a relationship. Every time I had spent time with him, I was just happy. He would even make me mad but I’ll still be happy with him ; I can’t stay mad at him for long. We been through thick and thin; he has witnessed everything i been through these past 5 years , from the bad to the good and he has yet to judge me. He’s still in my life and i don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. The 2nd year out of nowhere I realized I loved him. I didn’t have to think twice about it, it just came naturally. Ever since then we have been inseparable. Yes, we go through things as a couple but its not like all of the relationships I've been in. I don't go around pretending to be happy just to satisfy others anymore like i used to.

I had to love and become happy with myself before I thought about another relationship i would regret or anything else i do in this life. Ask yourself this before you do anything; are you naturally happy with yourself? If not then you probably won’t be naturally happy with anything you do until you’re happy with yourself. Love yourself FIRST and everything after will be great! I definitely don’t want you to be synthetically happy like I was once before. If it wasn't for Dan Gilbert i would of never knew there were even two types of happiness , now that i do know , i will make sure i am always NATURALLY happy , with myself and my life.

XOXO,
Cey

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post.Now in days its hard to know when people are trully happy with in there hearts or just to make it seem like they are. I also had a realtionship where I was happy because i had to make it seem to everyone that we were happy as a couple, but now that is becoming a new trend. A lot of relationships I've seen are synthetically happy and this isnt only in relationships now its also in families. Being naturally happy is something alot of people can accomplish is just knowing what in your heart gives you bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cey, This is very interesting. I'm not sure if your definition of natural vs. synthetic is the same as the texts- can you clarify by first presenting info about the ideas. Also, the text doesn't imply that synthetic happiness is less real or less "authentic" than natural happiness. You seem to have a value judgment between the two that is not found in the texts. You may want to clarify this as well/

    ReplyDelete