"Every morning when i open my eyes i say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and i'm going to be happy in it."

- Groucho Marx

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Become happy with education !

Although education is the key for success, many people that attend school find it difficult or boring; therefore they are unhappy while they are trying to achieve an education. According to Tal Ben-Shahar in the book Happier, he came up with two models that show how students are motivated in school. He states the two models as the “lovemaking” model and the “drowning” model. The love making model is basically when a student enjoys doing what he or she is doing. They take their time and enjoy the learning process and they then benefit from it in both the present and the future. People who are in the “lovemaking” model tend to be happy in school and with education. The drowning model is the complete opposite they don’t enjoy what he or she is doing and they only complete it because of their fear of failure , when they do complete an assignment it’s like a sigh of relief and it may come off as happiness because they finally don’t feel overwhelmed , they are not really happy though. People who are in the “drowning” model tend to be unhappy with education, sometimes it even leads to them dropping out if school. Students should find something they can do or take to make school a better place for them to learn and enjoy education, they would be so much happier.


When I was growing up and even to this day I was raised by the drowning method. Many of my teachers put in my head that I had to do this a certain way or I would be a complete failure. Everything I did and still do is to get that big sigh of relief when it’s all over with. Some things that I do may still give me that overwhelming feeling but when I complete whatever that has to be done I feel good about it. I think it’s more like a feeling of accomplishment than it is happiness. Now that I am older I can change that. I am in college and I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to. I can do the things that make me happy and be happy doing it. I can join a club that I like or take a second language that I find interesting and wouldn’t mind doing it. When you are older nothing is really forced, its either you do it or you don’t.



If you don’t like doing something you must do, try to find ways to make what you’re doing better for you. I know it may be hard at first but it will pay off in the end, don’t just give up. If you like painting and your assignment is about the history of art, try painting a picture first then taking the task at hand. If you paint first and that is something you enjoy doing then when it comes to writing or researching about art, it should be a breeze. You will learn a lot more when you are satisfied or happy before starting or doing your work. I had to learn this the hard way. I realized I enjoyed acting so if I had turned everything into a play or a skit, I would have been so much happier in school. I am older now so that’s what I do to accomplish my work and be happy doing it. You can even join a club to take your mind off of things or try doing something you never did before so you won’t feel so overwhelmed with work, at least you will have something to do that you might enjoy. Education is the key to success but if you’re not happy while trying to achieve one, what’s the point?



Xoxo , Cey

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cey,

    I really enjoyed this. For the paper, try to take it out of 2nd person "you" and keep it focused on CEY! Work on an intro and conclusion and a clear thesis. Your writing is really entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you had to say. Maybe I can use your outlook and see it thru someone else's persepective

    ReplyDelete