"Every morning when i open my eyes i say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and i'm going to be happy in it."

- Groucho Marx

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Education

I usually react first and think later before I do anything. Everything I do is based on my emotions. They are the root to everything I do in this life, even the things I do in school. My emotions lead to my talking a lot in and out of class. My outspoken self and my emotions may get out of hand sometimes and that can lead to me being unhappy when I am at school. I have always had the urge to say what is on my mind no matter where I went. I did not care if the teacher was talking, although talking was a good thing sometimes when it was not it affected my grades. Education is the key for success but I find school difficult or boring at times; therefore it leads to me being unhappy while I am trying to achieve an education. I will find ways to channel my emotions and my “big mouth” in school so I can change my views on school and become happy with education.

I have always been the outspoken person out of the bunch. I was the one who always had something to say, I was very opinionated. Even though I was opinionated I was always open minded. If there was someone who wanted to get their point across it was me. I would even debate with teachers if I thought I was right and even if I was wrong, I would still debate just for the fun of it. No one could shut me up if they tried! When it came time to learn I would argue everything that didn’t make sense to me. If it made me feel any kind of way my feelings would be expressed through my words. My emotions always played a part in everything I do or say.

In my “cold” state of mind I think about what I am saying or doing before I actually do or say it. In Loewenstein’s terms a “cold” state of mind is a person’s rational calm state of mind. People who are in this state of mind tend to think before they do anything, they think about the outcomes or consequences first. In my “hot” state of mind I do not care what I say or do. Whatever comes to my mind I will say it without holding anything back. In Loewenstein’s terms a “hot” state of mind is the “heat of the moment” moments, for example those moments in anxiety, fear, courage, drug craving or sexual excitation. People in this state tend to act first before thinking. They usually don’t think about the consequences or the outcomes of what they do. Everything is done in the “heat of the moment”. I am usually in a “hot” state of mind. That is one of my biggest weaknesses in school.

My biggest weakness in school is my outspoken personality. It can get out of hand sometimes and that can be a bad thing. I had no control of it when I was younger but now that I am older I can turn my weakness into my biggest strength. I can make it work for me. I know that I like to talk and I know I can pick out my own classes now so I should at least try to take my biggest weakness and turn it into something positive. I can take an acting class or do something like a radio talk show. If I do one or the other I can get my point across and no one can stop me. It would not affect my grade and I can say whatever I like. This would not only satisfy my wants, it would make me want to go to school more. I would become happier with education.

I never knew how to make school work for me. I always tried to fit into school. It was never a time I went to school because I wanted to learn and I was excited about learning. I always went to school because I was raised by my parents telling me if I didn’t I would be a failure , so school wasn’t really something I enjoyed doing. I dreaded the days in school; I couldn’t talk like I wanted to because all I was told to do was to listen. I couldn’t express myself so I was unhappy in school most of the time. Now that I am in college I can pick classes that I would enjoy. In college not everything is about listening, there are classes here when teachers do not mind if you express yourself. So far the teachers and some of the adults I have met love what students have to say and their opinions. This is a big step from what I experienced in high school.

I now know what makes me happy. I know what I don’t like and what I enjoy. I there are some things in this world that may not work in my favor but education is not one of those things. I can make education work for me from now on. I don’t have to pretend that I enjoy education now, I can actually enjoy it. I can enjoy it by doing the things I like to do. If there is something I don’t like then I don’t have to do it if I don’t want too. I made my out spoken personality fit into education. I can proudly say I actually enjoy being in school now. I made education work for me and you can too!


xoxo,
Cey

No comments:

Post a Comment